As a nation, we spend more on PREMIUM label ice cream than on adult education and literacy. Wisconsin Literacy, Inc. is working to change this trend.
Ninety-three million Americans function at the two lowest levels of literacy. The adult basic education and literacy system serves only 3 million a year - and that includes all public (federal, state and local) and philanthropic funding.
Fourteen percent at the lowest level cannot:
- locate an intersection on a map
- calculate the total cost on an order form
29 percent of the population at the second lowest level cannot:
- use a bus schedule
- balance a checkbook
- More than 1.5 million adults in Wisconsin qualify for literacy services.
- Thirty-nine percent of our state read at the two lowest levels of literacy.
- In 2015, at our member agencies, more than 4,000 volunteer tutors provided over 280,000 hours of tutoring to more than 13,000 adult learners.